I dreamt a limitless book, A book unbound. It's leaves scattered in fantastic abundance. On every line there was a new horizon drawn, New heavens supposed, New states, new souls.


Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Mayor Of Casterbridge


This is the first post, so I'll explain. I LOVE books, my day would be so empty without them. I love the smell of old books, and the feel of new ones...BOOKS!!...Okay I'll simmer down a bit because you're new, and tell you about the book I just finished reading, The Mayor Of Casterbridge, I admit I wasn't very optimistic, but as soon as I got in to it, I loved it!!! It was written by Thomas Hardy in 1886, and is way funnier than it should be! It is about this merchant named Michael Henchard, who after drinking more than he should at a country fair, sells his wife and daughter. He searches for years to find them, but to no avail. When about eighteen years had passed, the man who was taking care of Susan(the wife) and Elizabeth-Jane(the daughter) died, they went on their way to try and find him. Upon finding him, they learn that he has made himself the Mayor of Casterbridge!....This book is filled with twist and turns. It is hilarious! I mean, I'm not giving away the ending but someone dies of an anxiety attack!!! Isn't that awesome? And even though I only read it because I'm taking British Literature, I loved it, and it is totally a book anyone should read.

No comments: